[Freedombox-discuss] Getting involved too

On 10/01/2010 11:35 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Welcome!
>
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 07:37:12PM +0200, Marc H?lscher wrote:
>> If you don't bother I'll post my thoughts once I dugg deeper into
>> this lists archive. To be honest, I am not a practised programmer,
>> although I have some experience with C/C++ and am using Unix for 2
>> years now. Please don't hesitate to tell me if my ideas are nonsense.
>
> Well, some of us (me included) do not program C/C++ at all. And as you
> might have read already, in my opinion we shouldn't be coding here,
> but piece together parts already existing in Debian (and when we want
> things not yet in Debian then go ahead and implement them together
> with relevant other teams in Debian).
>
> Looking forward to hear more about your ideas - and ideas of anyone
> else :-D
>
> Regards,
>
> - Jonas

Hey, Marc. You seem quite eager to do stuff. But truthfully, we haven't
progressed much (most of us) here, and I don't know whether there's any
point in digging around in the threads. It's all hanging as of yet. Some
people think we should just work on existing deb packages, with very few
exceptions (webmail, perhaps a config WebUI), but I've made my mind: I'm
open to coding, including C/C++.
 From what I've gathered, there are some unused brains here, but we
can't do anything without the base to build on. That's why configs have
priority. Still, don't let us stop you from doing your thing if you can
without the base. I don't expect say a university professor (I think we
have one or two of those here) to write config files. If you can, you
should, but if not your contributions will still be welcome to the
project. Somebody will eventually step up and package them.
In short, the project's goal is to get software run on the plug pc. If
you're a writer of that software, I think you're just as a part of the
project as a packager.

--Luka Mar?eti?
It's a do-ocratic system with no rulers. (get it? really?)