[Freedombox-discuss] distributed encrypted highly-available storage for the FreedomBox

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 09:48:53AM -0400, Rohit Kumar Mehta wrote:
> I have been running my own Linux servers since the 90's and was
> thinking during Ebens talk, "a $40 box that will do all this? no
> way!"

He was talking about a $25 device. :)

> No $40 box is going to be able to make available all the content
> that users want to have online.  Modern computer users are used to
> ever growing amounts of easily accessible cloud storage via Gmail
> and dropbox.

How much storage does a regular user needs for the software stack,
email, photos, notices and articles?

20GB, that is extendable with a USB storage device, seems to be more
enough, isn't it? 20GB and even 40GB are pretty cheap these days.

We won't need Dropbox as it is now. You'll have your own server that
you will be able to access from anywhere and your data will be
automatically backed up to your friends' Freedomboxes.

--
Osama Khalid
English-to-Arabic translator and programmer.