Re: First Steps.

On 05/09/11 11:52, Heddle Weaver wrote:
Hello,

Taking first steps in the security world.
I know that a 'firewall' is nothing but a configuration file for
iptables, but that's about it.

Blocking is only part of what constitutes a "firewall" ie. the ultimate firewall is an air-gap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_%28computing%29

I need recommendations for literature or other sources of reliable
knowledge that start off with answers to questions such as: 'What is a
port?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_port_%28software%29

Any time and trouble appreciated.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
<snipped>
http://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls

Cheers

--
"Do you remember this [beep] - you play certain rock albums backwards - and there's satanic messages? Let me tell you something - if you're sitting around your house playing your albums backwards.... You are Satan! You needed look any further. And don't go ruining my stereo to prove a point either."
— Bill Hicks