Re: Debian vs RedHat firewall.

Hello!

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 02:23:58AM -0500, Marius Janusaitis wrote:
> Hi to everybody,
> I have heard that it's quit easy to enable and setup some kind of
> basic firewall on RedHat (Fedora) – don't know about other distros.

If you do not understand, what it does, you have not gained much. Could
be, that it has a not very tight ruleset, for example. I have used so
calles "firewalls" on older SuSE systems, and I was *very* dissapointed,
when I found out what they were about. Do not know about Fedora, though.

> Now, what's the deal with Debian? Is it possible to set up "off the
> box" firewall with Debian (Sarge)?

I do the following:

$ apt-get install firehol

look in the example config files at /usr/share/doc/firehol, pick the one
most suiting your needs, customize (typically IP and/or interfaces
change), try with

& firehol try

if it works, then am done, took me five minutes. I do not know what you
mean by "off the box".

mab