Re: Port 111

On 2 Nov 2004, JM wrote:

[ Conventionally, replies go below existing material;  that is, after
  all, the normal reading order for English text. ]

>> Thanks Daniel for the explanations about posting a message properly.
>>
>> This is what it shows after rpcinfo:
>> rpcinfo -p
>> program vers proto   port
>> 100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>> 100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>> 391002    1   tcp  32768  sgi_fam
>> 391002    2   tcp  32768  sgi_fam
>>
>> For a minute before doing this, I thought that somehow port 111 was
>> exposed to the internet. Mostly because the firewall did not show this
>> port open previously.  However, since it appears to be solely the portmap
>> server, it seems to be ok. I wonder why the firewall shows this port open
>> and before it did not.  Anyways, it seems to be open only locally.
>
> I don't use NFS service and the only service I could see that portmap is
> necessary in my case is the NIS service.

Well, your rpcinfo above shows one other feature that uses traditional
RPC: the 'FAM' or 'File Alteration Monitor' package used by GNOME and,
possibly, others.

> I deinstalled portmap. Is there another critical service that could
> use the sunrpc? I just don't see the need of having port 111 open. But
> again, I am just a beginner.

Unless you care about using FAM, there isn't any need for it.

If this is a firewall machine, you probably don't have a great need for
the 'fam' package. ;)

    Daniel
--
In the present-day reconstruction of physics, fragments of the Newtonian
concepts are stubbornly retained. The result is to reduce modern physics to a