Recompile filter for firewall-easy

Right now, when I try to run firewall-easy I get the following error:

firewall-easy: No packet filter support detected in kernel
/usr/lib/firewall-easy/firewall: test: /etc/firewall-easy-lib: unary operator ed
firewall-easy: No packet filter support detected in kernel

But I can't find information on how to compile the kernel for packet filter support.

Is there information on this anywhere?

(and a dumb question, how do I find out what version of the kernel I am running?)

Scott Mohnkern