Re: iptables - can't locate module ip_tables

[...]

> i go over to iptables.  i don't seem to be getting any response.  so i
> try to simple list: (while user makes no difference, i am logged in as
> root)
> ---> p166deb:/# iptables -L
> modprobe: Can't locate module
> ip_tables iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter':
> iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
[...]

Did you try 'insmmod ip_tables' ?
I guess you have a 2.4.x kernel, right ?

[...]
> p166deb:/# locate ip_tables
> /usr/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_tables.h <--- there's a file.

You have to search a *module*.
/lib/modules/2.4.<version>/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o

[...]
> cannot find a iptables module for webmin.  (i was hoping for a gui
> interface which might have a different way of presenting things)
> webmin-iptables and webmin-ip_tables do not exist.

There is no GUI for iptable. But you can find very easily a lot of
scripts and hints. Try with HOWTOs ;)

[...]
> i'll probably move to redhat, for i've had other

What a threat ;)

I would suggest you to look at firewall specialized distros, like
Gibraltar (http://www.gibraltar.at): it's a debian-based complete
firewall solution (run from CD, no HD needed). No GUI ;)
For a running debian-box, you can try shorewall
(http://www.shorewall.net) to configure your iptable rules. shorewall
is available as a debian package.

Regards,

PG