Re: My first firewall

you might also consider locking down things in the kernel:
http://www.grsecurity.net/

some intrusion detection:
http://www.lids.org/
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html
http://www.tripwire.org/
http://imsafe.sourceforge.net/

file sytems could be mount read only where possible and premissions could be
made more restrictive.

strip away as much as you can from the base install. keep the kernel lean,
build as much in module format as you can and don't keep modules that you
don't need.

run a port scanner up against your machine to make sure ports are shutdown
tight:
http://www.insecure.org/

watch your logs, keep abreast of exploits.

here's a hint on DNS if you want to run it on your firewal:
http://www.psionic.com/papers/whitep01.html

-nishan