Re: arp magic

On Thu, 07 Nov 2002, IT - Sven Mueller wrote:

> I think the arp_filter setting should really be the  setting you should try.
> As far as I understand the documentation it is _exactly_ what you are looking
> for. With arp_filter set to 1, the kernel only answers arp requests if it
> matches the IP address(es) configured for that interface. In your case, it
> should stop marvin answering the requests for 10.200.118.1, so that marvin
> only replies to arp `who-has 10.2.2.20`.
>
> At least it worked in my setup, which has two hosts that had the same dummyX
> interfaces (IPs for webserver, ftpserver etc.). Only the current server for a
> specific IP service also had eth0:X interfaces for those IPs. Well, when the
> service had to be transfered, I needed to flag the dummy interface and the
> alias interface down (yep, both) _and_ change their IPs. Otherwise, the old
> host kept responding to those ARP requests. Well, at least he did until I
> changed the arp_filter setting to 1.

Hmm. It did not in my case. I think arp_filter only answers arp requests
if it woud route packets directed to the /source of the arp request/ via
that interface.

The hidden patch on the other hand does what I wanted it to do. Only
answer arp requests if they match the ip of the interface the request is
received at.

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal