Re: Imap server questions

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 gnotari@linkgroup.it wrote:

> >          I'm asking here (not debian-user) because I'm looking to set up
> a imap
> > server behind my firewall which will be port forwarded from the firewall
> > to an internal internet unrouteable ip address.  I'd like to know:

Yes, port forwarding should be enough.

If clients get any important services from this server (e.g.: LDAP) then
you should forward them as well, of course.

> Port forwarding is one option.
>
> I recently managed to use ssh to tunnel and forward port 143 (IMAP) from an
> internal server, through the firewall, to an external machine.
> What I would really like is to run another IMAP server, to serve
> connections from the Internet, synchronized to the internal (main) one. It
> would suffice one way synchronization, i.e. you would be permitted to
> remove message only on the internal server.

Is it? I find sometimes find 'd' the most important key when reading the
morning mail.

> Does anyone know about scripts to automate the synchronization of two IMAP
> servers?

(perhaps by means of a shared mailbox (to both servers) for some users?
There probably are better solutions.

Another option that may suffice for some uses is to give web interface to
the imap server, and expose only that.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il