Re: Re[2]: Firewall in an internet-caffe

I've added the mailing list back in. Your complete reply to me, for the
benefit of others, follows my comments below.

At 01:28 AM 5/27/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello!
>Thank You for quick answer.

Glad I could help. Here are a couple of additional thoughts.

1. If you put the FTP/MAIL/WWW server on the same Ethernet as the Windows
clients, you necessarily weaken your firewall protection of those Windows
clients (because you have to permit some external traffic to get in to make
the FTP/MAIL/WWW server work). You may also need to provide an authoritative
DNS server ... you don't say enough about your situation for me to tell ...
and that too is a service commonly DMZ'd. As is POP3 or IMAP. If you offer
shell accounts, it gets even worse.

2. As to where to provide shell accounts, you have only three options:

        A. On the router/firewall. That is the last place you want them; the
security of this host should be paramount.

        B. On the FTP/MAIL/WWW server. Not impossible, but risky ... if
someone uses a weak password and gets his or her account cracked, you
provide access to all of your external services.

        C. On a different machine.

If you exclude choice C, I certainly think B is better than A ... but not
offering the service at all is (probably) even better.

3. As to how to use your 32 addresses ... as I said before, you haven't
described your LAN in enough detail for me to give you more than some
preliminary thoughts. If you want more feedback on that, please describe in
a bit more detail how you intend to configure the router/firewall. For
example, you previously said you would give it IP address a.b.c.1. Though
this usage is common shorthand, it really is inaccurate -- *interfaces* get
IP addresses, not *hosts*. A router has (at least) two IP addresses, on two
different networks. If the router/firewall's *internal* interface is
a.b.c.1, then what is its external IP address (the one that connects the
router to the Internet)? Does you ISP know that that IP address is *its*
route to a.b.c.0/27?

4. I was neither offended by anything you said nor disappointed in your
language skills (which are, in point of fact, quite good). All I intended to
say was that your question about using ipchains was too vague to be answered
in any meaningful way. Firewalling is a well-developed specialty, and you
would benefit from reading some of the basic documents on it, and perhaps
looking at some of the available firewalling packages for Linux (such as
seawall, a Sourceforge project). Or perhaps not ... your more recent
comments indicate a greater breadth of knowledge than I inferred from your
first message.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com