Re: other services on a firewall

Hi!

> Peter Bartosch wrote:
> >
> > hi, debians
> >
> > i'm willing to setup a firewall, and therefor i'm asking myself how insecure
> > it is, to provide some other services (e.g. like apache) on the same
> > machine?? is it to risky?
>
> All I know is that this is strongly discouraged. Each extra package give
> room for other problems, so all suggest doing the following.
>
> Setting up a Firewall with as few services as possible. No extra
> packages like X11, Compiler etc. and another server for the web
> services.

personally  (at home) i want to do so, even if i am using a dial in
connetction ;-)

> I think it's a question how parnoid you are;-). If you don't care about
> break-ins, why than doing a firewall at all?

sure, but i think many people are setting up (and in such cases mostly
bad setup's) a firewall to calm down their conscience
i think this is the reason why i have to set up a firewall at work (hmm,
well, it's my first ;-/ )
						If you just say, I don't
> want ot make it too easy you can provide other services, but you should
> be aware that you deal security witch convinience.

hmm, yes sure, i'll do ,-)

--
until next mail B-)

Peter
--
   :          student of technical computer science           :