firewall that boots from diskette

Hi all,

A while back there was mention of booting debian from a diskette, setting up
a ram disk and then running the firewall. This sounds pretty good as I have
a request at the moment to set up and remotely administer a couple of
firewalls for a school (one to stop people getting into admin, the other to
limit where the students get out to). As the school is some 400 miles
distant I would like to set up the diskette boot as it seems to me that this
configuration would be more resistant to power outages, etc.

So my questions are:

1) Where do I look for documentation on setting up a diskette boot system?
2) Has anyone done this before? What were the caveats?
3) To administer remotely, I will have to set up telnet. Will this cause
many security problems? Is there a better alternative?
4) Another alternative, I suppose, is to boot from CD. Has anyone tried
this?

TIA

    __ _   Debian GNU User
   / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   Simon Martin
  / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /   Project Manager
 \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   mailto: smartin@isys.cl