Re: FCT

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Henry Hollenberg wrote:
> It looks pretty slick....is it only html based?

Yes, its only HTML based.

> Even so it might be a pretty nice configurator...to include in the project
> either by converting it to curses or dialog based screens or setting up a
> one-time-install-time-browser to access it.

As I understood it, FCT generates some configuration files. This could be
done on every HTTP-Server with FCT installed, not nessecery on the bastion
or any other part of the firewall. Create the config-files offline, then
check them, and then install them on the firewall.

> What did you guys think of it...even if not used directly seems to have
> some good ideas/layout.  Should we contact  Jens Hellmerichs-Friedrich?

It is very usable. Jens has written a very good und usable tool.
Especially the work to define filter rules for all of the protocols should
not be underestimated. I will contact him (he's in  Germany, too). My
intention is debianize FCT, first in its pure HTML-Version.

Bye,
Hubert

Hubert Weikert   DB1MQ   Member of DARC (www.darc.de) and FITUG (www.fitug.de)
Email: weikert@cube.net  weikert@compuserve.com  http://www.cube.net/~weikert/
Book: Kryptographie mit dem Computer (PGP Praxis) ISBN 3-7905-1503-5  DM 19,80
Key = 21978C61  fingerprint = 99 38 A5 83 C8 76 F4 E1  A7 9C B9 70 9A A7 70 10