Re: ?-able packages for a firewall.

	Henry Hollenberg     speed@barney.iamerica.net

On 4 Mar 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Remove diif, and mawk, and dpkg shall cease to work. (Not
>  something I think is desirable). e2fsprogs: even firewall machines
>  mght need an occasional fsck. Not a good idea to remove.
>
> 	debianutiles provides runparts, and savelog, and tempfile,
>  which I think I'd like to have (cron etc need them), for rotating
>  logs is nice. I am unsure about classifying this as critical (for a
>  firewall machine). I have a feeling we should leave this alone too.
>
> 	basdutils provides /bin/kill.
>
> 	ed is also needed; unless red (whatever that is) is a drop in
>  replacement ...

Thanks for the input I'll make those changes.

Somebody mentioned it to me this is all i've really tracked down about it:

Debian Package - ed 0.2-15
       ... ED 0.2-15 The classic unix line editor ed is a line-oriented
text editor. It is used to create, display, modify and otherwise
       manipulate text files. red is a restricted ed: it can only edit
                              ^^^
files in the current directory and cannot execute shell commands. Other
       packages related to ed: = required = recommended ...

http://cgi.debian.org/www-master/debian.org/Packages/unstable/editors/ed.html
01/16/98, 2065 bytes