Re: Win98 and FAT32

"FredLogo" wrote:
  >Dear Debian People:
  >
  >I am currently running Windows 98 with FAT32 harddrives.   Can I install
  >Debian on one of  my existing harddrives?  How can I achieve dualsystem boot
  >capabilities?  Make my default system Win98 incase of power failure (my
  >Computer runs 24hrs a day for fax voice mail).
  >
  >I would like to explore this OS without disrupting my Win98 established
  >business system.

You can install Debian on one or more partitions of one or more drives.

You will need to move any Windows files off the partition you intend to use,
because Windows cannot read a Linux partition, and the windows data will be
destroyed when you reassign the partition to Linux.  Your other partitions
will not be affected.

Linux can be installed in 40MB or less, but I suggest you allow at least
500MB, to give you room to install extra utilities.  If you currently
use Windows, you will probably be more comfortable with X windows than
with old-fashioned DOS-like screens.  X takes a lot of space and programs
for X take a lot more.  You will also need a swap partition of up to
128MB, to use as virtual memory.

Debian GNU/Linux can be set up to boot from a floppy disk.  The LILO
boot-loader can also be used to boot either Windows or Linux from the hard
disks, and either one can be made the default.  We can give you detailed
help if you post the partition configuration you intend to use.

Make sure you read the installation instructions before you start...

     "Set your affection on things above, not on things on
      the earth."          Colossians 3:2