Re: Debian at O'Reilly Open Source Convention

Ben Collins wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:17:33AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Finally I've gotton an acknowledgement for a sponsored booth at O'Reilly's
> > convention.
> >
> >   Jul 23-27    Open Source Convention San Diego       U.S.A.       x
> >
> > At the moment, only Matt Kraai will represent the Debian project.  Are
> > there more people who are interested in this event?
> >
> > Still to do:
> >
> > 	. machines
> > 	. banners / posters
> > 	. tables and chairs (it's easier+cheaper if we could provide them,
> > 	  if that's not possible O'Reilly will)
>
> If we need money to help with this event, let me know and I'll see about
> authorizing a reimbursement.

NO!  Please DON'T start this.  This will set a precident and people will
know that we actually can spend money on this.  As soon as we start this
we may have to pay regular prices for equipment and regular prices for
the space, for the carpet, for electricity and ehibitors passports.

I do not want any exhibition to charge us anything for this.

It is the exhibitor who makes money with OUR work, so it is their damn
duty to provide a little bit of feedback.  500 bucks is not much for
a company that charges $100 per qm from an exhibitor or $800 from a
regular visitor.  But $500 is *much* for a free software project.

Also please think about smaller project that actually don't have such
funds the *could* spend.  They would be closed out per definition.

> What I'd actually like to see if we can do is get some banners/posters
> created that we can reuse at events. If you can get a cost on them, and
> agree to manage their use, I think it can be done.

Yes, agreed.  We need some "exhibition kit" placed in several parts
of the world.

Sorry if I sounded harsh but I'm really serious about this issue.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
	-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum