Re: raising money for Debian at conferences

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 03:08:10PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> At past conferences I have seen groups like OpenBSD selling stuff at
> their booth in the vendor expo (shirts, posters, etc).  They were quite
> successful at this, pretty much selling out by the time the expo ended.
>
> I've offered to help with our booth at USENIX in June and was wondering
> if such things have ever been done by Debian.  Obviously we aren't going
> to be printing our own shirts, but if we can work out a donation (or
> even very large discount) from somebody like ThinkGeek or Copyleft might
> we be able to do something like that?
>
> I know marketing isn't something we do much of, but that's really what
> vendor expos are like, so we should probably try to make it interesting.

We usually arrange for someone to donate CDs, and giving away CDs makes
us more money than selling shirts really ever has.  There've been
shirts a couple of times, but I think we need a new contact at
Copyleft...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team