FrOSCon - June 24./25. 2006 (Saturday/Sunday) - Sankt Augustin Germany

Hello!

FrOSCon
The Department of Computer Science[1] of the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg[2] is organising a conference about Free Software and Open Source in 2006 with help of Fachschaft of Computer Science[3], LUUSA[4] and FrOSCon e.V.

About FrOSCon
FrOSCon is a two day conference on Free Software and Open Source, taking place on June, 24/25 2006 at the Fachhochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg in Sankt Augustin near the cities of Bonn and Cologne.

The conference revolves around a rich schedule of talks, highlighting current topics in Free Software and Open Source. Moreover, developers will be offered a large Free Software / Open Source space, allowing them to organize their own meetings or even their own lineup of events.

We will not host a separate tradeshow. However, space will be available to companies and projects, so they can present themselves to the visitors.

The Venue
The University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhine-Sieg is a young and modern college. Its aim at applied science, combined with a constant drive for innovation, modern premises and its fantastic locality make this college an ideal venue.

The location, Sankt Augustin, lies in the charming Rhineland, in close proximity to the former capitol of Germany, Bonn. Due to superb transport connection, Sankt Augustin may also be quickly reached from Cologne as well as from the international airport Cologne/Bonn.

The Program
A wide variety of talks will establish the foundation of the event. Current topics on Free Software and Open Source will be presented in five auditoria/lecture rooms in parallel. The agenda will focus on the following areas (tracks):
Programming languages
Free software on the desktop
Security
Philosophy and legal concerns of Open Source
Administration and networks
Free Software business

To ensure the balance and quality of the agenda, a Call for Papers will be announced. The acceptance deadline is February 15th, 2006. The program committee will consist of experts in industry, research and education with multiple years of experience in the area of Free Software and Open Source. The committee will select the final agenda from the submissions.

The Developer Rooms
Developers of Free Software and Open Source projects usually communicate via the Internet to coordinate their efforts. However, in some cases it may be favorable to meet in-person, perhaps to discuss the project strategy, or to hunt down bugs in the software together. Due to insufficient ressources, for many projects it is not easy to organize such meetings.

For this reason, FrOSCon gives projects in the field of Free Software and Open Source a chance to hold their own meetings by providing them with the necessary space and infrastructure. In return, the projects offer their know-how, as well as talks. Talks may be given as part of the official agenda and/or as part of a presentation/program with focus on the individual project, in the developer room.

Socializing Event
Saturday evening you will have the chance to experience the sociability and way of life typical of the Rhineland. Eat a "halve Hahn" and enjoy some refreshing Kölsch beer while discussing what you have learned and further deepening your knowledge, cultivating your network of contacts or just unwinding after the eventful day.

Fees and Registration
FrOSCon is mainly funded by donations. Only a low fee of 5 Euros will be charged for attendance. Pre-registration is encouraged and will be available through the official FrOSCon website[5] no later than 3 months ahead of the event.

The Organizer
FrOSCon is hosted by the Department of Computer Science in cooperation with the Linux/Unix Usergroup Sankt Augustin (LUUSA) and the Department of Computer Science's Board of Students (Fachschaft Informatik).

News
12/12/2005
Our event gets noticed by the open source community more and more. Not only the PHP and OpenWRT developers are joining the FrOSCon, today the GNOME project confirmed their apperance[6] at our event as well. We are not only looking forward for some great talks from these groups, but we also think that our event will be recognized as a community get-together as well. In order to be able to organize the event properly, we are still looking for Sponsors[7] who are willing to support us financially, in order to be able to provide a decent infrastructure for as many projects as possible. If you are interested in helping out, we are looking forward to hear from you at sponsoren [at] froscon [dot] de.

11/04/2005
The FrOSCon has been pushed back! The rescheduling of the LinuxTag[8] allows us to move to a summer date. FrOSCon will now take place on the weekend of June, 24th and 25th. Hopefully the summer date will allow us to offer an even better experience to our visitors.

09/19/2005
The english version of our website just went live. Please note that the german version at http://www.froscon.de might sometimes be more up-to-date.

[1] ... http://www.inf.fh-brs.de/
[2] ... http://www.fh-brs.de/