Re: [Debconf-discuss] My comments on "Debian in corporate IT" bof

> I have few comments/suggestions as follows:-
>
> * Can we/Do we take feedback from sponsors about their Debian specific
> requirements/issues in general?

Good question, I'm tempted to say no, at least not as structured as we should
imo.

> * Corporate/Business user avoids to post at public mailing lists using
> their corporate e-mail address to prevent from getting spammed. And also to
> save himself from spreading his corporate signature along with sensitive
> information like office address,office phone number etc. How can we address
> that issue? [Remember 'out of office' replies at mailing lists sometimes?
> ;-) ]

Well we tried by creating a closed mailing list for companies. I took a lot
of heat for going that route, but figured it made sense for the very same
reasons you're giving. But, it didn't really work out as the list
(debian-companies) is absolutely quiet.

But then the list was subscribers only for companies related to Debian. One
of the results from the BoF were to try to bring more people/companies to the
discussion, which is why I think the next step would be to open the list for
all.

Please expect an announcement in due time, it'll take a bit.

> * Are we interested or do we already address issues (proactively) of SMB's
> & large corporate customers where deployment/scaling of Debian os happens
> in hundred & thousands of volume?

I'm sure we're interested.

> * Can their be a dedicated team to respond queries (Debian specific) of IT
> folks (inc CTO,CIO's) from corporate/business space where they deal with
> Debian OS in a complex env side by side with other Linux operating systems
> & applications?

There was some after BoF discussion about this as well and there will be
follow-ups via email.

Michael

P.S.: I moved this thread to debian-enterprise, because it is open right now. We also have to figure out whether we need both, -enterprise and -companies.
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org