Re: early release of wrtng

On Monday 25 Jul 2011, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to share with all of you  wrtng,
> at least the idea of WRT New Glue.
>
> wrtng is my attempt to combine OpenWRT and Debian.
>
> What I want is running Debian on a low power device designed for always-on
> like a wireless router, that is where OpenWRT comes in.
>
> OpenWRT is used at hardware level. Minimal patch to OpenWRT will be
> telling the kernel to use rootfs at /dev/sda1 ( not in initrd )
>
> /dev/sda1 is the first partition on the first USB storage device.
> That means wrtng requires a OpenWRT capable device with USB port(s)
It could also be used for devices using CF disks (so no USB needed).
These are also seen as /dev/sd??.

> The root filesystem is from Debian with addition of hardware specific
> programs like network switches and WIFI setup.
Probably the easiest way to get these additional programs is to mount
the OpenWRT root partition.  This also allows things like the kernel
modules to be copied into the Debian root partition.

David