Re: opkg

Dnia 2011-03-05, sob o godzinie 16:45 +0200, Erez pisze:

> I have learned about opkg which is a fork of the ipkg,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opkg
> Although it is here from 2001, I only recently learned about it.

OPKG is not 2001 but rather 2007.

> The ipk package format with the opkg is used today by
> http://openwrt.org/ and http://www.openembedded.org/.
> The opkg is maintain at http://code.google.com/p/opkg/.

> However the ipkg tools for building ipk packages can be found in openwrt
>  http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/ipkg-utils-1.7.tar.gz
> The original web site http://handhelds.org/  (of the ipkg project) is
> down at the moment.

opkg-utils are part of opkg repository and are better to use then
ipkg-utils one because many bugs were fixed and some improvements were
made.

> The reasons I bother you with this is:
> 1) The ipkg format is the same as Debian package,
>     The different is that ipkg final packaging is using gzip tar
> instead of ar (with both gzip and bzip2), from the very simple reason.
> Busybox have tar but not ar! (bzip2 is included with busybox, so I believe it can be used).

There are two formats of IPK files - old one (tar.gz) and new one
(Debian package). OpenWRT used old one (no idea how it looks now), OE
uses new one. Besides OpenWRT (and derived) and really old Zaurus 'so
called' distributions I did not found other users of old format IPK
files.

> 2) The opkg is not using perl! Perl is quite big for embedded.

OPKG has own issues too :(

> I think that it would be nice to add the opkg (GNU GPL v2) and ipkg
> tools to the emdebian project.

Add opkg and opkg-utils if you want.

> A tool that convert deb to ipk and back like alien can be easily build
> (in cases that is truly needed).

If you use opkg then you have packages in Debian format. No need to
convert.