Re: can not install cross toolchain

+++ Tom [2010-02-16 13:40 +0100]:
> Hi,
>
> i have a i386 ubuntu 9.10 installed and want to compile a linux kernel
> for armel.
> i followed the instructions from http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html
>  but get the following error:

Unfortunately Ubuntu is not compatible with Debian in the toolchain
area. They made some changes to how the compiler is built (to do with
libssp IIRC) which mean that toolchains built for Debian don't install.

This is very tiresome, but no-one has volunteered to maintian
ubuntu-style cross-toolchains yet so far as I know. It would be nice.

Simon Richter did build some a while back which might still be
satisfactory.

Can someone who understands this properly remind me what needs to be
done to have ubuntu-compatible toolchains in our repo? Do we just need
to keep some chroots and do our normal builds in there as well, or are
there more intrusive patches needed?

Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/