Re: Policy changes which completely break apt-cross

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:04:57AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> [That assumes working multiarch.]
>
>> I don't think so. What would you change in the conversion? With
>> sysroot=/ the include files don't need to be moved to
>> /usr/triplet/include, the /usr/include is just fine.
>
> The cross compiler can only look at /usr/include when we have multiarch.

Can you give some examples what packages would break if /usr/include is
used NOW?

> It is likely that we switch over the cross compiler before the multiarch
> transition is completed, but doing this before even the basic
> infrastructure is in place and the major libraries are converted is just
> asking for trouble.

It seems binutils already switched over a while ago:

 binutils  (2.19.51.20090827-1) unstable; urgency=low

   * Snapshot, taken from the trunk 20090827.
     - Fix PR ld/10518: In linker scripts override a "*" match by any other
       wildcard match. Closes: #540751.
   * debian/*.shlibs: Update to the version from the trunk. Closes: #540800.
   * Add sysroot support for cross builds (Hector Oron). Closes: #522480.
   * Update long description of binutils-doc. Closes: #428764.
   * Tighten build dependency on autoconf.
   * Fix some lintian warnings.

 -- Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>  Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:09:28 +0200

and the other day we had a bug hunting session on irc because the
sysroot setting for a recent cross binutils changed the way indirect
libraries are searched and failed to find libm.

So this is something that is already being worked on now it seems.

MfG
        Goswin