Re: [RFC] [Cross Toolchain] Multiarch and sysrooted toolchain

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,

>>> True, however, that is not a sufficient reason to not
>>> if it means getting such support into the core Debian packaging tools.
>>
>> Indeed, however this makes building stuff without the packaging tools a lot
>> harder -- for example I need to patch gcc to recognize these paths if I
>> build gcc by hand. It might be a lot easier to have the packaging tools
>> handle the "current" layout than to patch all the software that assumes
>> that software is generally installed into "include" and "lib" dirs under a
>> common prefix (such as most GNU software that uses the autoconf macros to
>> find installed software).
>
> That's totally right and that is my point, I really think multiarch is
> not well designed to fit into cross compiling. They (dpkg-core) might
> want us to do extra work which will break our stuff.

If gcc looks into the tripplet dirs by default then cross-compiling
can just use the normal system directories. The sys-root would be / in
that case. The common prefix "".

> And as from the point of view of multiarch we probably have a nice,
> simple and working solution right now, without even notice it. The only
> reason I found against our approach is:
>
> "
> Why not prefix/arch-os/lib/ (and include/)?
> It would pollute the prefix directory. Can you imagine adding one entry
> for each target to the root and /usr directories? Better that they go
> under the prefix/lib/ (and include/) directories which already contain
> many files. "
>
> Which in practice it is not so bad to do all the extra work that
> multiarch needs to get done.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong

You are wrong. :)

The toolchain does not yet look in all the right places. Neither for
the multiarch nor the corss-compile way of putting the prefix. It is
in a state where both ways are used and neither is complete enough for
a full system.

MfG
        Goswin