Re: ARM on qemu: running kernel 2.6.20 or newer?

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 09:35 +0200, Thomas Bleher wrote:
> * Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2008-06-05 16:44]:
> > Thomas Bleher wrote:
> > > I'm trying to run an ARM kernel on qemu (0.9.1-5) on a Debian AMD64
> > > system. 2.6.19 worked fine, but all newer kernel releases[1] result in
> > > qemu consuming 100% of the CPU without ever outputting anything to the
> > > console.
> >
> > The daily built armel versatile D-I images [1] worked fine for me in qemu
> > just a few days ago. They use 2.6.24. There's one issue [2] related to
> > serial console, but graphics mode works fine.
> >
> > [1] http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiHowto
> > [2] http://bugs.debian.org/484366
>
> Thank you for the fast response!
> I did some further tests, and it looks like the Emdebian cross-compiler
> miscompiles newer kernels, at least for the configs I tested. Using the
> ELDK cross-compiler instead, the kernel boots fine under qemu.
>
> I don't think I'll have time to further debug this issue, but I've cc'ed
> debian-embedded@l.d.o, in case anyone is interested in tracking this
> down. I'll provide .configs + vmlinux files on request

vmlinux|z files aren't that useful (probably) but you might want to look
at balloonboard.org - we are building 2.6 kernels (into zImage files)
using the Emdebian cross-compilers without problems. The kernels boot
just fine on balloon3 ARM boards. AFAICT others are building kernels for
other boards using the Emdebian toolchains without problems too.

Not sure if anyone is testing in qemu - maybe the problem is there?