Re: (Em)debian on ARM platform - Aplex

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 18:52 +0200, Mirco Piccin wrote:
> Hi all.
> Hope it's the right place to post my question.

Yes, it is.

> I'd like to know if it's possible to install emdebian (or something
> similar) onto an ARM based panel pc.

ARM is certainly possible but you'll still need a kernel and appropriate
modules. The packages are available for you. Currently, the package
versions are a little behind Debian testing due to problems building
gcc-4.3.

Packages are available for a GNOME Palmtop Environment installation,
similar to Familiar or OpenEmbedded. There is a *lot* of work still
needed to make this process easier.

> Now are running WinCE from a soldered flash , but it's present a
> switch that allows flash reprogramming  using a CF (CF adapter
> present).
>
> I'm wasting time or it is possible?

It isn't neessarily going to be straightforward - this isn't a typical
Debian install. One likely solution could be to use emdebian-rootfs to
create a root filesystem, copy that, the kernel and modules onto a CF
card. You'll also need a bootloader and a way of communicating with the
bootloader, usually via a serial port and connection.

You need to be running Debian on the box preparing the root filesystem
and use:

$ sudo apt-get install emdebian-rootfs

If you want to modify the prebuilt ARM packages, you will also need
emdebian-tools.

--
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>