Re: installing toolchain

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 11:43 -0600, TGreen@wencor.com wrote:
> I realize that I'm working on an ubuntu system (fiesty), but thought
> that since it's a debian based system getting the toolchain installed
> on it would be rather straightforward.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work
> like that.

Ubuntu is nowhere near compatible with Debian cross-building and
cross-compiler setups (which are complex enough on Debian). Emdebian is
trying to make things easier within Debian but nobody has so far offered
to do the same work within Ubuntu so there is no Ubuntu support.

Create a Debian chroot.

http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/man/re05.html#chroots

(extract from the emsetup manpage from version 0.9.4 - feisty doesn't
even have emdebian-tools.)

Ubuntu feisty is simply far too old - even gutsy is too old. The changes
necessary have only gone into Debian recently and even the unreleased
Ubuntu Hardy only has emdebian-tools 0.7.0 which is currently 14
releases behind Debian Sid and 20 behind Emdebian itself. (21 as soon as
I release 1.0.0 to Debian unstable tonight).

The toolchains available from Emdebian are intended for Debian because
Emdebian is Debian-only-smaller, it isn't EmUbuntu, it's Emdebian. If
you want a Ubuntu cross compiler on a Ubuntu system you will need to
build it yourself, unfortunately.

Even then, cross-building on Ubuntu will be very hard because you don't
have the relevant natively built packages to use as cross dependencies
and you would have to cross build all the dependencies before building
any of the other packages.

>   g++-4.1-mipsel-linux-gnu: Depends: gcc-4.1-base (= 4.1.2-21) but
> 4.1.2-0ubuntu4 is to be installed
>                             Depends: gcc-4.1-mipsel-linux-gnu (=
> 4.1.2-21) but it is not going to be installed
>                             Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1) but
> 2.5-0ubuntu14 is to be installed
>                             Depends: libstdc++6-4.1-dev-mipsel-cross
> (= 4.1.2-21) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Broken packages

This won't work on any Ubuntu installation and the current
emdebian-tools package contains an explicit warning about this:

emdebian-tools works best in a genuine Debian environment. ".
"You can create a suitable environment using debootstrap. ".
"See emdebian-tools (1) for more information

That content is reproduced at the link above.

> Ok, so I'm a complete noob to the cross compiler, but the installation
> should be straight forward enough.

No, it is not and there is very little that Emdebian can do about Ubuntu
problems.

>  How do I get the proper versions of the tools installed?

Use Debian, inside a chroot if necessary.

There are a huge number of things to learn when cross building.
emdebian-tools tries to hide many of those things from you but Ubuntu
cannot be supported directly.