Re: Permission problem doing an emsource

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 22:27 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 21:21 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > When I try to do an "emsource --verbose nano" I get:-
> > >
> > > Checking the apt-cross cache is up to date for i386.
> > > Checking unstable on i386 using apt sources
> > > Using nano as source package for nano (2.0.7)
> > > W: Unable to locate package nano-udeb
> > > Working directory: '/'
> >
> > The problem is that you need to specify a writable directory in debconf
> > (the question does ask for a writable directory).
> >
> > The default is to support chroot usage (where emsource is being run as
> > root anyway).
> >
> > $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure emdebian-tools
> > Enter a *writable* directory - one that is writable by the same user
> > that you expect to be using when calling emdebian-tools scripts.
> >
> > > Looks like the problem is the permissions on the directory it wants to
> > > use for the emdebian patches, but unfortunately the error message gives
> > > no clue as to where this directory it.
> >
> > It outputs the working directory at the very start but I will implement
> > a test and an earlier error message.
>
> Well the dpkg-reconfigure never asked me for a directory.  There were only
> two questions, one about using apt-get and the other my svn login (I do not
> have one so I left that blank).

Ah, I'm guessing this is 0.8.5 or later?

try:
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure emdebian-rootfs

The question has migrated into the rootfs .config script with the
package split but it should still have been asked originally when you
first installed the split packages.

IIRC it is safe to ask debconf to ask the same question twice so I may
have to do that (as both packages use this setting).