Re: Emdebian, DEB_VENDOR, Squeeze, Grip and Crush

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 11:17 -0500, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>

> > Crush will form the basis of other flavours of Emdebian built against
> > uClibc - the current repository should be capable of supporting uClibc
> > versions of Crush packages. Personally, I'd see no need for Grip-uClibc
> > - if you want uClibc, you have a device that needs the extra-small
> > packages only available via Crush.
>
> ... unless you are troubleshooting something that might be uClibc-related, and
> need more tools to track down the problem than are available under Crush.

But then Grip might not be suitable either - the build changes needed by
Crush could be masking/exposing the bug.

> If Crush still offers things like gdbserver, strace, etc. then this problem
> might be mitigated so long as cross toolchains that target Crush are easily
> available.

Hmmm. Well, if the device running Crush is able to install and run these
packages, yes, these could be available. uClibc is going to be difficult
to debug - it's in the nature of the problem. You need a small install,
the small install might not simply have room for any debugging tools.
You'd need an equivalent device with more storage available and then get
the extra packages you need from Debian. Mixing Debian with Emdebian
Crush can be an issue if the dependencies don't match - in this case, if
the dependencies of strace etc. are not available or not installable.

Not an easy problem to fix. Bug reproducibility is going to be the key
for these things - there is a lot of scope for bugs to be
machine:variant-specific once uClibc comes into play.

Ideas? How are issues like this solved in OpenWRT and other really small
distros that use uClibc or C libraries other than glibc?