Re: Lintian and Emdebian Policy

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 13:55 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Currently, due to some vagaries within lintian/perl, there are two ways
> to do this:
>
> With emdebian-tools installed from SVN (requires dpkg-dev >= 1.14.17
> from experimental):
>
> To check an Emdebian package only for compliance with Emdebian changes
> (the autobuilder will use this):
> $ lintian -C em $changes_file

This functionality has now been put into 'emsource --status $package'.
emsource also records lintian errors via embug, as do emdebuild and
emrecent. embuildstats also uses embug via a new --lintian option. embug
has also been extended to handle multiple bugs per package, multiple
flags per package and clearer displays of flag status.

This means that we have the following layers of QA:

1. Debian packages as the upstream source
2. emsource allowing everyone to use the same basic patch set
3. emdebuild checks each build using extensible tests and fails the
entire build if the checks fail.
4. emtargetcmp records incidences of updated packages in Debian so that
data can be quickly retrieved later, e.g. whilst offline.
5. emsource records incidences of patches that fail to apply to the
Debian source.
6. emsource also supports checking the built packages against Emdebian
Policy via lintian and the 'emsource --status' report and records a flag
in the same offline storage.
7. emdebuild sets the same lintian flag if the package fails during the
build so that you don't forget which builds are broken.
8. embuildstats updates the lintian flags across all packages that you
have built.
9. embug supports --prepare to make it easier to report package-specific
issues to Debian, with patches.

All this is to support the autobuilder by making it easier to keep
things updated and working.

Overall, I'm aiming for emdebian-tools to become like devscripts or
debhelper - making things easier (and more reproducible) without
stopping you doing things the hard way.

Yet this is, once again, blocked by libgcc1 because gcc-4.3 doesn't
build correctly so I can't start uploading the fixed packages. However,
I am using the flags to fix the emdebian patches in SVN. There are quite
a few packages that failed with the lintian tests that passed the
previous emdebuild build checks - the upside of that is that the updated
packages will be smaller again.