Re: an inittab question

> si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

I've looked at several docs describing init scripts but I haven't found any that tells me whan to use inittab vs rc scripts.

Inittab entries for a certain runlevel are launched in parallel, while
rc scripts are run in sequence, which is why you generally have one si
entry calling a script.
so you probably want one entry in inittab for system initialisation
that calls rcS
doing what you want to do in order

I would uses the following inittab (I'm using busybox):

::sysinit:/bin/my_UI_program
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
ttyAM0::askfirst:-/bin/sh
::restart:/bin/init
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a

That's just bizzarre, unless busybox init is so divergent from Unix as
to have turned into a scripting language.