Re: Debian & Nokia 770

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 10:26 +0100, ext JC wrote:

> >> right, is a Debian embedded system, but how to get the system without
> >> the Nokia UI hildon?
> >>

> > You can use developer rootfs if you don't need hildon:
> > http://maemo.org/downloads/download-rootfs.html
> >

> Thanks Ed, but what I need is to build a bootable emdebian root
> filesystem image as you say in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2005/11/msg00014.html.
> I have tried to create them (minimal, dpkg+apt and dpkg+apt+xserver),
> following the instructions given in Embedded Debian build environment,
> but the jffs2 images that I create don't boot. I flashes it with flasher
> 3.0 and when the device is flashed, it stay whith the NOKIA message in
> the screen and do nothing else.
First of all that instructions and approach are outdated and
unsupported. Now emdebian uses another one. I think people from this
list can explain you better than me how to build bootable emdebian
rootfs.

> I don't know what is hapening. Someone knows where is the problem?

What I did in November 2005 is a kind of 'proof of concept'. I manage to
build tiny working rootfs out of emdebianized packages. But it seems
that concept was not appreciated by Debian developers, so it was not
developed further. Emdebian has new concept now and new packages. I'd
suggest you to look at them if you really want to build emdebian rootfs.

Good luck!

--
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh@nokia.com>
Nokia-M/Helsinki