Re: Embeddded Debian meetup @ Extremadura

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 18:18 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 4:22 pm, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> > Guys:
> > > * promote DEBUILD_OPTIONS=nodocs flag for not building docs
> >
> > Stupid question, but it be more appropriate to promote separate *-doc
> > packages instead?
>
> It's a question of degree. Packages go for a separate doc package when they
> have, say, 1Mb of docs or where the docs are >50% of the total package size.
> A nodocs flag would allow us to take out unwanted data from packages that
> individually may only have a 'small' amount of doc files but which, together,
> account for a large amount of installation space. If there are 50 packages
> with only 20k of docs each, it's better to have a flag that takes out the 20k
> in each one, just for us, than to put an extra 50 small -doc packages into
> the main Debian archive.

I think the biggest benefit of the nodocs (isn't "nodoc" used already?)
option (from the point of view of someone who is *building* an embedded
system) is that you don't have to _generate_ the docs in the first
place.  Some documents have more complex build dependencies than the
programs that they document.  Also, the document generation time may be
a significant portion of the build time of a package.

timo