startup guide

Dear all,

I am a newbie and want to startup an embedded project using SBC with VIA EDEN 400MHz. As I have only limited storage, only 64MB, Embedded debain fits me.

But I dunno where to start. Please guide me in the following aspects.
1) download source from CVS and compile the source
2) installation of kernel, filesystem and xwindow
3) config

Now I have a SBC at hand with COM port and Ethernet, a computer running XP (I will install linux if needed).

Please kindly help.

Thanks,
ET