Shall I rewrite the git history of rust-mode?

I wanted to upload a new version of rust-mode and I'm not sure how to deal with the master branch. It's simplified latest history is:

Merge branch 'mr_0.3.0-3' into 'master'
debian/0.4.0-1 (only ever uploaded to experimental)
debian/0.3.0-2

It seems that dgit was used so far with this repository and I should finally learn it. But can you confirm that it is expected behavior to have the master branch go back in time from version 0.4.0-1 to 0.3.0.-3? Or is this a mistake that should be corrected?

Thank you, Thomas