Re: RFC: relaxation of debian-emacs-policy dependency requirements

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors@iki.fi> writes:

> What sort of helpers do you think should be offered?

[...]

> Having almost all packages use shared code would improve the quality a
> lot. Currently many packages fail in some tiny details (for example
> they forget to symlink .el files => emacs help can not find the source
> code of a function anymore).

Agreed.  I think that the idea of making it easy to do the right thing
is good, but as I mentioned, I don't want to try to tackle everything at
once.

So I think I'd like to get the initial emcasen-common overhaul finished
first, and allow people to start testing, and then see what things I
might be able to usefully add as helper scripts or functions.

I'm also in the process of overhauling debian-emacs-policy and the
existing examples, so that they both reflect the new approach, and
so that the examples are actually actually correct...

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org