When to cleanup /etc/emacs-flavour/site-start.d/ for Emacs add-on?

Hi,

I was investigating bug #428239 which is about dpkg warnings when
removing emacs21 (or some other emacs flavour) but some Emacs addon
packages still have init files in /etc/emacs-flavour/site-start.d/.
Because those files are conffiles, those should not be removed by
emacsen.remove if I'm interpreting Debian Policy (10.7.3), but instead
those files should be removed only when add-on package is purged. This
is also how at least gnus and psgml-mode packages handle those files.

This however leads to some odd situations: amount of conffiles of Emacs
add-on actually depends on the order of Emacs flavours installed and
removed. So this is a bit odd, and leads to dpkg giving warnings when
Emacs flavour is removed.

So my question is that am I interpreting Debian Policy and Emacs
sub-policy correctly, and is it so that there is no way to get rid of
those warnings? Or is there some way of handling this so that for
example state and amount of conffiles is equal no matter what emacs
flavours has been installed and removed?

P.S. I am still looking for a sponsor for the new version
5.11+v0.10.dfsg-1 of my package "gnus".

  main contrib non-free
- dget
  http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnus/gnus_5.11+v0.10.dfsg-1.dsc