Re: System-wide vs. emacs-specific info pages

Hi Sven,

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:31:57AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > When that package is installed, however, it provides
> > /usr/share/info/emacs-22/org.gz. info(1) deals with it properly,
> > but emacs' info system then present 2 org info entries that both go to
> > /usr/share/info/emacs-22/org.gz.
>
> Not really.  One goes to emacs22/org.gz, the other to org.gz.  The
> problem is that Emacs 22 and later hides the file name from you by
> default, you can make it visible by setting the variable
> Info-hide-note-references to nil.

maybe I am misunderstanding what you say, but in this case, it's not
just that emacs is *hiding* a file name: both info entries, when
followed from emacs' info mode, give access to the old version of the
org-mode manual (the one in /usr/share/info/emacs22) and not the new
one in /usr/share/info.

> The unofficial emacs-snapshot package deals with this by mangling the
> section names and adding " (emacs-snapshot)" to them.  You could file
> bugs against emacs22 and emacs22-non-dfsg that these packages should do
> that as well.  See also bug #402043¹.

I don't think 402043 is about the same problem I am describing,
though.

Cheers,

--Seb