Re: System-wide vs. emacs-specific info pages

On 2009-01-03 17:33 +0100, Sebastien Delafond wrote:

> I'm trying to solve bug #490053: in a nutshell, my org-mode packages
> ships /usr/share/info/org.gz, which both info(1) and emacs' "C-h
> i" see fine when emacs22-common-non-dfsg.
>
> When that package is installed, however, it provides
> /usr/share/info/emacs-22/org.gz. info(1) deals with it properly,
> but emacs' info system then present 2 org info entries that both go to
> /usr/share/info/emacs-22/org.gz.

Not really.  One goes to emacs22/org.gz, the other to org.gz.  The
problem is that Emacs 22 and later hides the file name from you by
default, you can make it visible by setting the variable
Info-hide-note-references to nil.

> I know very little about the info system in general, and much less
> about how emacs handles it, but I would be glad to hear suggestions on
> how to have emacs' info-more behave more like info(1) with regard to
> multiple info nodes sharing the same name.

The unofficial emacs-snapshot package deals with this by mangling the
section names and adding " (emacs-snapshot)" to them.  You could file
bugs against emacs22 and emacs22-non-dfsg that these packages should do
that as well.  See also bug #402043¹.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/402043