Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

+++ David Kastrup [30/10/06 14:15 +0100]:
Mike O'Connor <stew@vireo.org> writes:

But what we are talking about is the fact that GNU took the free
emacs manual and made it non-free, not the other way around.

They "took" it?

The verb took in that sentence was idoiomatic.  Please don't interpret with
the literal meaning to acquire forcefully.

Sorry, but they _wrote_ it, all versions of it.  And
equating "free" with "DFSG-free and nothing else" is a stretch.

Equating free with DFSG-free is in no way a stretch in this discussion of how
to package the manual in debian.

What happened is that "GNU" decided to change the licensing conditions
of material written by themselves to something which happens not to
meet the Debian guidelines for free software under certain conditions,

This is what i meant when i said, "GNU took the free emacs manual and made it
non-free", so we are in agreement about this.

stew