Re: New DFSG-compliant emacs packages

Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:
> > David, why are you getting so upset about this as a Debian user? If
> > you're unhappy with debian, by all means use another distribution; there
> > are plenty to choose from.  No, I'm not trying to irritate you.  I just
> > wonder why it matters so much that Debian thinks differently about these
> > freedoms than the FSF does.
>
> "Love it or leave it," eh?
>
> Yeesh.

More like "don't take it so personally".

Or like "Leave it if you hate it so much".

I don't think my messages were confrontational.  I certainly didn't
intend them to be.  But as deciding what license to use for Emacs docs
is a policy issue for the FSF, deciding how to deal with it is a Debian
policy issue.  If it gets your blood boiling, then use something that
won't.  It isn't good for your health.

What is strange to me is seeing some FSF advocates getting upset with
Debian for wanting the same freedoms for documentation as we enjoy for
its software.  We're not advocating _less_ freedom, so why get upset
with taking freedom another step forward?  Anyway, this is way off-topic
for debian-emacsen.

Peter