Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

On 23 Mar 2006, Ben Pfaff uttered the following:

> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 15, Miles Bader wrote:
>>> In practice I guess it's just going to mean that most people end
>>> up putting non-free in their sources.list, weakening the effect of
>>> having a separation between "free" and "non-free" in the first
>>> place, and more users end up confused because lack of hard
>>> dependencies will mean the doc packages don't get installed.
>>
>> It may get worse.  The maintainer of the GNU make package has just
>> kicked out the documentation for good, offering no substituton
>> whatsoever.  [...]

        And, additionally, I also maintain Gnus ...

> Why should a Debian maintainer feel compelled to package non-free
> software?
>
>> [...]  See bug #358314 (and note that the make manual does not
>> even contain unmodifiable sections).

        Err, that happens not to be factual, as explained below.

> I just downloaded make 3.80 from ftp.gnu.org, and you appear to
> be wrong about that.  Here is an excerpt from make.texi:
>
> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
> document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License,
> Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software
> Foundation; with the Invariant Sections being ``GNU General Public
> License'', the Front-Cover Texts being ``A GNU Manual'', and with
> the Back-Cover Texts being as in
> (a) below.  A copy of the license is included in the section entitled
> ``GNU Free Documentation License''.
>
> Front-cover and back-cover texts are invariant.

        Anyway, while not in Debian, the non-free section hosted on
 debian machines continues to have make-doc. People who care so much
 about the non-free docs may pick them up from the non-free section.

        The same shall be true for Gnus non-free documentation shortly.

        manoj
--
Computers will not be perfected until they can compute how much more
than the estimate the job will cost.