Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

Jérôme Marant wrote:
Yeah, after all, the social contract merely states:

     We will never make the system require the use
     of a non-free component.

Now I realize what that means: "The system" does not require the
non-free documentation, although one could argue that its users and
developers probably will require it.  Quite sophisticated.

Perhaps grabbing documentation from non-free will be a minor inconvenience
for many users. We shall see.

I think there's more to it than that.  A lot of information crucial to Debian's
development (such as the glibc documentation) will be moved to non-free, and I
guess that almost every Debian developer will need to install one or the other
non-free documentation package.  Thus, the claim "Debian is 100% free, because
we have removed the offending GFDL documentation" is dishonest, in my opinion.