Re: [debs] Emacs + XFT

(Please don't CC me on Debian lists, and don't top-post; thanks.)

Marco Cabizza <mc@newglobal.it> writes:

> Romain, are there any plans to merge the XFT_JHD_BRANCH to some
> emacs-snapshot-*, perhaps in experimental?

None at all.  The Xft code will probably be entirely rewritten after the
22.1 release, and I don't merge feature branches in emacs-snapshot
(otherwise I'd have to do it for multi-tty, tiling, etc).

> It's not that stable by now, but it could be a good idea (after all
> emacs was one of the few 'common' program that had no gtk2 ui and that
> was not xft-rendered yet..).

There's no bold, it changes the default font selection, it crashes...

If people want the feature that badly, they can just compile their own
version from CVS, or use third-party packages; I'm not willing to deal
with it.  There's a significant gap between "this branch works for me"
and "this branch is suitable for the 100+ users of emacs-snapshot in
Debian and Ubuntu".  And having different versions of emacs-snapshot in
unstable and experimental isn't an option.

Sorry to disappoint you,

--
  ,''`.
 : :' :        Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>