Re: Some XEmacs issues and proposals

Ralf Angeli <angeli@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> Hi everybody,

Hi,

> following up on a discussion from the xemacs-beta mailing list I'd
> like to point out some issues with the XEmacs package Debian is
> providing and suggest possible remedies.  The problems are affecting
> AUCTeX to some extent, so I will refer to it as an example when
> appropriate.
>
> 1) /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp in load-path (bug #309747)
>
> The load-path of Debian's XEmacs includes the directory
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.  This directory is traditionally
> used for the manual site-wide installation of GNU Emacs add-ons.
> Basically the same is true for /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp.  That means
> one could question the decision adding this directory to load-path as
> well.

I think this requires some changes in the policy:
Common .el files could be installed in /usr{,/local}/share/emacsen/site-lisp
which is not a standard location in Emacsen's path.
It would replace /usr/{,/local}/share/emacs/site-lisp in both Emacsen
paths and the problem would vanish.

Any other idea?

> 2) xemacs-packages before site-packages (bug #151900)
>
> Debian's XEmacs is configured to search the
> /usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages directory before the
> /usr/share/xemacs21/site-packages directory.  This is contradictory to
> the search order described in XEmacs' Lispref manual:

I think this one is easily fixable ...

> 3) Info documentation
>
> Some of XEmacs' documentation is not accessible from inside of
> Debian's XEmacs.  For example `C-h C-c save-buffer RET' or similar
> does not work.  Unfortunately I am not familiar with how an
> appropriate layout of info files and directories should look like or
> what was changed in Debian which broke commands like the one above, so
> I cannot make a suggestion here.

... as well as this one.

--
Jérôme Marant