Re: emacs-snapshot and load-path

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> Le 31 Jan 2005, Jérôme Marant vraute :
>
>> > I remember  that we talked  about that point months  ago. Emacs-snapshot
>> > should not provide emacs21 to the apt package tree.
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> That emacs-snapshot  cannot replace emacs21  but installs aside, nor  it can
> provide emacs21 feature  for elisp packages like ecb  for which emacs21 must
> be installed, even if emacs-snapshot provides the same functionality.

I think it is more logical than that: emacs-snapshot will always bring
breakages since it is meant to move all the time. Users need to have something
stable around.

If users want to use ecb with emacs-snapshot, they need to test ecb with it
and ask the ecb maintainer to explicitely add the dependency.

> You told it was by design that it cannot be used as emacs21 replacement.

Yes, I asked Emacs developers and they confirmed that.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org