Re: Xemacs needs help

On 26 Feb 2004, miles@gnu.org wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:36:26PM +0100, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Very true, I mentioned some oddies and also propose to sync with
>> offical xemacs release politics, ie stable should be 21.4.x and
>> testing 21.5.x.
>
> I don't use xemacs, but that doesn't make much sense -- you can't
> choose different versions for stable/testing like that (and even if
> some override mechanism exists, there seems no good reason to do so
> in this case).  You just put whatever version seems a good choice
> into unstable, and if it's bug-free enough, it'll become the version
> in testing, and thence at some point the version in stable.

I don't understand your point:

        - right now, the  debian stable xemacs version is 21.4.6,
          a  version  which has  a   serious bug  in the  display
          engine.  The  Xemacs team   considers the   most recent
          version   of the 21.4  series as  stable,  so why can't
          debian follow that? I have seen that the latest version
          of the 21.4.x series is now updated in the unstable
          branch.

        - The  21.5 series in another  thing, this is still
          buggy (official  beta) so why not  putting  it into the
          testing branch of debian.

Even if you think my second proposal is  too risky what about the
first one? The display engine bug in 21.4.6 can be quite annoying
and  some recent  xemacs  packages  require  at least  version  >
21.4.10.  I guess most  users will use the  xemacs version of the
stable branch of debian.