Re: change in Debian emacs policy: make global enabling of add-on lisp packages optional

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 06:05:26PM +0000, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> I think that for add-on lisp packages for emacs, there should be an
> install-time option (debconf would be the obvious way to go here) to
> enable the package globally, and if it is not enabled globally, there
> should be instructions in the README.Debian to enable it locally on a
> per-user basis.
>
> My basic justification for this is that some users may not want
> packages enabled that they don't want/need to use, and in some cases
> it may interfere with their established methods of working.

What do you mean by `enabled'?

A typical emacs package has little effect unless you explicitly invoke it.
The major exception is probably patterns added to `auto-mode-alist' -- and
that only seems to be a problem if there's a conflict.

> Both AUC TeX and preview-latex are currently doing
> this, and I believe x-symbol will be following this soon, based on a
> recent thread on this list.

I don't use either of these packages; can you give more information on how
they are causing problems for `non-users'?

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo