Re: x-symbol package dangerous in multibyte environment

Steve,

Are you on the debian-emacsen list?

On 31 Oct 2002  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002  "Wedler, Christoph" <christoph.wedler@sap.com> wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> > If you use the `setq' mentioned at the beginning, your problem should
> > disappear.
>
> The problem is not only mine and it is general. If you install
> x-symbol package on Debian system on the request of a user, some other
> users may have to edit their perfectly legal TeX files. This should be
> remedied as soon as possible, either by you or by the Debian package
> maintainer.

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002  "Wedler, Christoph" <christoph.wedler@sap.com> wrote:

[...]

> It's general for all people where ALL of the following conditions are
> true:
>
>  * they have a non-latin-1 default coding system (or read files with the
>    coding: spec) which produces/reads 8bit chars ().

Quite a lot of them.

>  * they use \usepackage[latinN]{inputenc} where N != 1

Quite a lot of them.

>  * their system does not have the locale command

The LaTeX commands should be sufficient for a LaTeX documents.

>  * they don't read the warnings issued by X-Symbol (OK, it's a bit
>    hidden with Emacs < 21.4).

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (from a Debian package) gives no warning at all.

>  * they don't read carefully the installation instruction while using
>    beta software.

The x-symbol is a package from the stable Woody Debian GNU/Linux
distribution. One does not read installation instruction when
installing a Debian package.

>  > This should be remedied as soon as possible, either by you or by the
>  > Debian package maintainer.
>
> As I said, probably next week.  BTW, you are allowed to send patches.

I can test the corrected Debian package.

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,